Saturday, December 1, 2012

Conflict Resolution: Personal Dilemma

My personal dilemma is: My downstairs neighbors and I have not been agreeing in our noise level. They complain about our noise for walking during the day (I have three high energy children). I complain about their loud music during the afternoon, while the baby is taking a nap. We have done nothing but bang on each others walls to convey our extreme dislike of each others activities.


After reviewing information on conflict resolutions here are a few ways I can approach this conflict:

1) I can communicate and suggest a win/win situation. Perhaps we can choose to be loud at the same time. The girls can run around while the neighbors play their loud rap music. We can also agree on quiet hours of the day or night. This can alleviate some of our apartment living discomfort.

2) I can also choose to look at this as an opportunity to learn to negotiate, and perhaps become a better neighbor. There are things I need to learn about myself this situation will help me understand. If I look at the potential of learning from a challenging situation, rather than focus on the problem, I can enjoy the process.

(Conflict Resolution Network, n.d.)


Dear colleagues please comment on your thoughts on this conflict. Do you feel I have the right approach to this situation? Do you see other alternatives? How would you address this neighbors? Have you been in a similar situation?


Thanks for reading and any comments in advance!!! :)



References

Conflict Resolution Network. (n.d.). CR kit. Retrieved from http://www.crnhq.org/pages.php?pID=12#skill_3

3 comments:

  1. Hi Angela, of course you have the right to address this conflict. As someone who has always lived in an apartment, I think it is vital to meet your neighbors and talk about conflicts when they arise. It makes difference on your livelihood and can impact the lives of your family, and specifically your children. I like the idea of the win/win resolution. There should be a way for both of you to meet in the middle and agree to either loud or quiet times of the day. If they are banging on your wall, they are probably wondering how to address the conflict as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,
    As I live in an apartment as well, so I understand what you are going through. It is hard, and I think you made the correct choice to find out a win-win solution to solve the conflict. Meanwhile, I think you could invite your neighbors to your home to have a dinner to lunch together, so they can physically get the idea of what three little children mean. I think they will respect you in raising three little ones and they will support you by giving you the quite moments in the afternoons. Meanwhile, dinner time can be a way for you to build the positive relationship with your neighbors, as you might need each other for help some day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Angela,
    I have been in a similar situation. Currently, it does not sound like you guys understand why you chose those hours to be loud and which hours you chose to be quiet. When I was in a similar situation, we spoke to our neighbors about the noise. Now that I have taken this class, I realize other ideas I could have taken also. I would invite your neighbors to a community area where it is neutral territory. You can bring light refreshments in order to create welcoming environment. Then an open dialogue can begin. I think that as neighbors we do not understand chose to do certain things. When we find out why, I think that allows us to be kind to one another and more likely to work together to make each other's live peaceful. Thank you for sharing and good fortune with your situation.

    ReplyDelete